Retail Permits authorize the retail sale of alcoholic beverages. They are separated into two categories: on-premises and off-premises. Three separate permits exist for the on-premises or off-premises sale of beer, wine, or mixed beverages respectively.

On-premises permits allow the sale of alcoholic beverages to be consumed within the establishment they were sold in, such as a restaurant or a bar.

Off-premises permits allow the sale of closed alcoholic products to be taken out of the establishment, such as a supermarket or convenience store, and consumed elsewhere.

For special events, it is not necessary to obtain an ABC permit if:

  • Only beer and/or unfortified wine (16% alcohol or less) is being served at no charge to your guests over the age of 21
  • The owner of the premises agrees to serve alcohol on their premises
  • Admission to the event is free

If you do not meet these criteria, you will need to apply for one of the below:

Limited Special Occasion Permits are issued for individuals or groups hosting functions such as wedding receptions, or company parties that will be selling alcoholic beverages.

Special One-Time Permits are issued to tax-exempt non-profit or political organizations for fundraising events.